The first step in getting started is to register for your own CommonKey account. Whether you are setting up CommonKey for the first time or invited by someone, the process is the same. Navigate to https://app.commonkey.com/register and input the information in the appropriate form fields.
NOTE: CommonKey enforces a strong password policy to keep your data safe. The following password requirement rules are required:
- Must be at least 8 characters long.
- Include at least one lowercase caharacter (a-z).
- Include at least one uppercase character (A-Z).
- Include at least one digit (0-9).
- Include a special character.
Installing the Browser Extension
Once you've created a CommonKey account, the next step is to install the browser extension to fully utilize all of CommonKey's features. You can go to the Chrome Web Store or the Firefox Addons to download and install the extension. Once installed, you can log into CommonKey through the extension and easily access all your personal and shared accounts.
Verifying your Account
The final step in getting started with CommonKey is verifying your email address. When you registered for a CommonKey account, a verification email was sent. You have 14 days to click on the registration email to ensure your identity is protected.
Creating a Company
To get started managing all your company's accounts for you and your team you'll need to create a company. Admins and managers who maintain access to these accounts can create a company from the dashboard. Go to https://app.commonkey.com and click on the "For Sharing, Create a Company" button. Enter your company's name and a short description and you'll be launched into the company dashboard view.
Setting up a Company
Creating a Team
One of the first things you'll want to do when setting up a company is creating a team. A team is an organizational group within your company that should have access to a subset of accounts (e.g. Marketing, Sales, Development). Easily create a new team by clicking on the "Create Team" button, assign the group a name, and the new team will appear on the left hand side.
Inviting a User
The next step is to invite users to the company. By clicking on the "Invite User", a pop-up window will appear and you'll be able to either add new users or existing users you've already invited to have access to company accounts. To invite new users, simply enter their email address in the form (add multiple users by entering in multiple email addresses) and an invitation email address will be sent to them by you on our behalf. They will receive instructions to sign up for a CommonKey account and accept your invitation to receive access to the shared accounts you assign to them.
Accepting an Invitation
When an invitation is sent to a new user, an email is sent to them from CommonKey on behalf of the admin. They will receive an email with instructions to sign up for a CommonKey account and will be prompted on first login to accept the pending invitation. For security purposes, once they've accepted the invitation, they must wait for the company admin to either log into the dashboard or refresh the extension to complete the encyrption process. Once completed, the invited user will have access to all the company accounts the admin shared with them.
Adding an Account
To add an account using the CommonKey dashboard, click on "+ Add Account" within the team you want to add the new account. There are three ways in which you can add an account:
- Automatic Account: select from one of over 800 approved web apps that are integrated with CommonKey. By adding this type of account, users will receive access and be able to automatically login without seeing the username or password using the browser extension.
- Custom Account: to add login credentials for accounts of non web apps (e.g. FTP, servers, routers). When shared with a user, they will be provided the username and password, which can be copied to clipboard.
- Existing Accounts: to transfer an existing account from your personal list or an existing team, click on the "Existing Account" tab and select the account you'd like to add to the current team.
Assigning Admin Permissions
You can grant adminitrative permissions to users to help manage your company. There are three levels of admin permissions, one scoped at the company level and two at the team level:
- Administrator: will have the same permissions and rights as the owner (excluding billing).
- Add Users: allows a user to add users to only that team (Note: this user will only be able to view this team and it's corresponding users when visiting the company dashboard.
- Add Accounts: allows a user to add accounts to only that team (Note: this user will only be able to view this team and it's corresponding accounts when visiting the company dashboard.
Browser Extension Features
When you log into a web app, the CommonKey browser extension's auto-detect feature will prompt you, asking if you'd like to save the account login credentials to your CommonKey account. By clicking YES, you can assign the account to either your Personal list OR to a company/team(s).
You can automatically log into accounts by either clicking on the auto-login account from the CommonKey browser extension pop-up window OR clicking on the CommonKey icon within the password field and selecting the account you'd like to use to log in with.
Random Password Generator
When creating a new account, you can use CommonKey's random password generator within the browser extension to help create a strong password. Simply click on the CommonKey icon within the password field and set your password requirements to generate a strong password. Alternatively, you can use our web-based random password generator.
You can export your saved accounts from CommonKey two ways:
- Personal Accounts: Navigate to your account settings page (top right menu selection) and clicking on "Export Accounts" at the bottom left hand side of the page. This will export all personal accounts to a csv file.
- Company Accounts: Navigate to the company settings pop-up and click on "Export Accounts" at the bottom of the window. This will export all of the current company accounts to a CSV file. NOTE: Only the company owner can export company accounts.
Need to change ownership rights to your company? Transfer ownership of your company with a click of a button!
We've recognized that as your company grows and scales, so does responsibilities, which often means roles shift. This is why we've released a feature that allows you to easily transfer ownership of a company to another team member. The transfer feature allows you to maintain continuity in operations and managing access to all your shared services.
Two Factor Authentication
Add an extra layer of security for your CommonKey account by enabling two factor authentication (2FA).
You can enable 2FA for your account by navigating to the Settings page. Since we use Time-based One Time Passwords (TOTP), you'll need to download an app on your phone from its respective app store. Examples of supported phone applications are: